Our Life's Path


          After yesterday's post and a conversation with my mom last night it made it clear to me what the post had to be about today. Days weren't always lollipops and gingerbread houses for Marc and I. There were absolutely rough times. There were times we didn't speak for months on end, and somehow came back together. I'd like to believe it was fate or something, but my mom's question to me last night was, "How did you know?" She was asking because I have a younger sister who is having boy issues. I wanted to give the perfect answer, but I couldn't. It's a tough question to answer. I began to think back on what helped me keep the faith. And don't let me fool you, the faith was lost a couple times. Seeing Marc was a reminder of what I really wanted in life. Any time I would see him either at an event or walking on campus there was a gut wrenching pain telling me, "Becca what is your deal. Get over yourself." Think about it. It's real easy to let someone go because of pride. Pride is a big deal. That's probably why it's one of the seven deadly sins. Every time we got back on the right path together, it was a constant life changer. The crazy thing is, I look back at pictures and can tell if Marc and I were on good terms or not. There's something about me, when Marc and I talk that brings me not only to a happier state, but even healthier. I'm not saying to wait forever on something you don't know about, because that would be crazy. Looking back, Marc and I may not have been ready for a relationship, but there was always potential there. I guess the bits of potential is what kept me going. When I say potential, I don't mean potential in being together in some random relationship, but potential in a lifelong one. It drove me nuts for years to hear he wasn't ready yet, but looking back it makes a lot more sense now. Marc has told me over and time again, he wanted to enter a relationship when he knew he could give me what he thought I deserved. If you had asked me three years ago what I thought I deserved, I probably would've answered, "To have you walk around in public holding my hand" <----- Clearly I was not ready either. Now, when I think about the things I deserve in a man, it's someone who loves me unconditionally, protects me no matter how difficult, brightens my mood in a time a darkness, and to walk with me through life over any obstacle. This is now what I HAVE in Marc. What a world of difference, right? So, to go back to the question, my answer is, I didn't know. I wanted to think I knew why to stick around and wait for our special moment, but the truth is, I didn't have a clue. It took time, heartache, and lots of back and forth. Maybe for other people it's a lot simpler, and for others it may be even harder. I cannot speak on other relationships because I am not a part of them. All I have to offer is the crazy roller-coaster of a story Marc and I have. We probably looked ridiculous back then, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. We've learned so much about not only each other, but ourselves. The growth we've encountered is unreal, and exactly what we needed. All I can say is, I'm glad we were able to keep enough faith in each other to make it to this point in our lives together.

With love always,
Becca Colón

P.s. What a journey!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Stretch

Thanks to Anonymous

One Year Ago