Time to Act Like a Colón


          It's official guys. I am a Colón. It's weird thinking my last name isn't legally Rodriguez anymore, but I think I've done enough name talk and have to talk about what actually happened yesterday. Yesterday when I was out and about at the DMV and Social Security Office, I thought I'd just get paperwork done and leave. Not for a second did I think I'd have an eye opening moment, something that made me appreciate the person whose name I was changing mine for. I didn't realize how much Marc and I coming from the same area, or how he was raised could mean so much. While I was in the SS office, I had been the only female other than a very quiet older woman. When I walked in, the security guy asked a question, "How far is it from here to Philly?" I shouted out real quick, "4 1/2 hours" Immediately it sparked a conversation for everyone in the room how great Philly was. I texted Marc because I thought it was cool how I was able to speak about the city we both adore so much. That great feeling changed in a matter of minutes. The men then changed the conversation to how much they could not believe how many homeless people were out in the streets, and that they thought they were all paid actors faking. Then they spoke about how stupid college educated students were and how they needed an education in common sense. What a dagger to my heart that was. That conversation lasted a good amount of time until the guy leading it left the room.
          The security guy asked what I went to school for, and I knew if Marc had been next to me, he would've said, "Give them something to talk about". I sat up and spoke with poise, was clear about how I was a sociology major looking to help the underprivileged, and brought up how my loving husband and I made it a point to feed the homeless on Thanksgiving (because they are humans like us and deserve to have a meal just like the rest of us!). I wish Marc had been there in that moment because he's so good with words, and can argue like a true lawyer, able to defend the work that we both love to do. After a while, I was able to get the security guy to see my side of the spectrum and understand, once you're out on the streets, it's not as simple as finding a job. There is a lot more to it. I know there was a reason I was supposed to change my last name yesterday, and that was to defend probably one of the biggest commonalities between Marc and I. Once I was able to get the conversation to a lull, a new big talker decided to then talk about women. At that point I stayed shut and just listened. I was done putting my two cents in. The whole time I just thought to myself, Marc would never even think to speak about women or me like that. It was disgusting to hear those men shame women and speak about how stupid we are. They might have been way older than Marc, but in no way did they compare to my man of a husband. They were simply boys ranting about their issues that meant nothing. Everyday I am faced with the reality of how lucky I am to have Marc, and boy was yesterday no different <3

With love always,
Becca (for real now) Colón

P.s. I tried to be a true Colón yesterday lol.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Stretch

Thanks to Anonymous

One Year Ago