Speak Now Or Forever Hold Your Name


          Today is the day! After today, I shall no longer be a Rodriguez. I'm off to the social security office and to the DMV. I can't wait for the people who work at both places to ask why I'm changing my last name and for me to hand over my marriage certificate. It's funny because it's actually a lot more emotional than I thought it would be. I'm staring at the name Rodriguez and Colón and thinking, I won't be seeing Rodriguez anywhere anymore. It's like I'm letting go of  a part of myself. You're probably thinking, why, and I can't even understand why. I guess it's because I grew up the past 21 years as a Rodriguez, and I'm making a big step of taking on my husbands last name (It's still fun to say husband, ahhh husband!). I'll no longer be initialing RR, it's going to be RC now. When professors go in order of last names, I'll no longer be at the end of the list, but instead at the very beginning. When I fill out forms that ask for all previously known names, do I have to fill that section out now? There are so many questions, and so many things changing. Will my school email account change now too??? I know you're thinking, "Becca, why are you even thinking about those things?" but they matter. Until now, whenever I've been up here at school, and people hear the name Rebecca Rodriguez, they only think of me. That's all going to change after today. After today, they're going to see Rebecca Colón and be like, "Oh yeah, that's Rebecca, Marc's wife". I now have a connection and another person's reputation to uphold. It's such a bittersweet feeling. I'm giving up a part of my childhood, which of course feels kind of sad. Then I remind myself, I'm not just picking up any old name. I'm picking up the name of the one person of the billions of people on earth, whom I love dearly, and never want to be separated from. What better way to show that person I am going no where, than to take on their last name? Because just like we said we only wanted to get married once (which is funny since we technically got married twice), I only want to change my name once. The next time I post another blog, I will no longer be a Rodriguez on paper, but always in my heart <3

With love always,
Becca Colón

P.s. Is it weird that I'm actually tearing and have a lump in my throat? Hahah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Stretch

Thanks to Anonymous

One Year Ago