Why My Husband Is My Biggest Cheerleader


          You know that song cheerleader? Well, I definitely found mine. When I think of where I have come, I really have a lot to thank of Marc. He's helped motivate me through hard obstacles. Cheer me on when I need it. Guide me in times of need. Right now specifically, I'm talking about with my research. Many people think I'm kidding when I say I study the effects of discrimination against women of color based on hair perceptions. Not Marc. He actually listened to what I had to say, and cheered me on throughout this journey the whole way thus far. A couple of years ago, he participated in the McNair Scholars program, a grad school prep program that teaches research methods, while assisting the actual research process. Before, I thought learning about hair and discrimination was just an interesting topic. I never thought to look deeper into it. He insisted I apply for the program and eventually, as in two years later of being stubborn, I finally decided to do it. These past couple weeks I've been working insanely hard on my research trying to finish everything before I graduate and it has honestly taken up a lot of my time. Sometimes I feel like I'm not paying enough attention to Marc because I'm too tired in the morning to write up the blog, or when we are both free and I'm busy doing work, or when I'm just tired at night and going to sleep early. The crazy thing is, even though I feel like caca at first because of these things, Marc is constantly saying, "Go for it! You got it! Take your time," and then I'm reassured that I'm doing the right thing and I have an amazing supporter in Marc. Today I got a reading from an advisor of mine, who I was introduced to by Marc, and he has also been an amazing help. Without Marc, I would never have met up with a professor who took immediate interest in my work, and is pushing me to even publish my work. Only my favorite cheerleader could connect me with yet another amazing supporter. I could only hope I am as great of a supporter to Marc as he is to me.

With love always,
Becca Colón

P.s. Tomorrow!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Stretch

Thanks to Anonymous

One Year Ago